Thursday, September 2, 2010

School Days

Today is the first day of school for Tomas! I'm nervous! (Yes, I know, I'm not the one going to school).

Yesterday we had the opportunity to visit his school, meet his teacher and explore his classroom a bit. He told me the night before that he doesn't like his new school; he likes his old school and it's toys better. Having never been to his new school before, I knew this was his way of expressing his anxiety. Then, on the way toward the front door of the school yesterday, he said, "Mommy, Daddy, my tummy hurts! I think I ate too much food." Sweet little Tomas was nervous, so Daddy carried him a good part of the way toward the front door, until the sound of lots of kids was heard and his nervousness started to turn to excitement.

His classroom and teacher, Mrs. Carter, were warm and welcoming. Colorful rugs adorned the floor, and Tomas had many opportunities to find his name throughout the room. In the end, it was a battle to leave the room (Tomas, in all of his thoroughness, wanted to get a chance to explore every nook and cranny.

This morning, reticence has taken over yet again. He was not interested in getting out of bed, and is now telling me, yet again, that he doesn't want to go to school. I'm sure there will be many days of Mommy the Cheerleader before these feelings turn around for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment