Andijvie met spek is a traditional Dutch mash meal. We like to make meals where we throw everything in one pot and enjoy! This particular one is mashed potatoes with raw endive (I used Belgian endive, but what I'm used to is a bit greener and more curly than this) and yummy cooked bacon. Add a little salt, pepper, and nutmeg and YUM YUM. The texture of the raw endive is a bit different, and the kids weren't too sure about it. A little enticement in the form of dessert helped significantly, and Tomas actually admitted to liking it. Gabriella is still in the stage where raw carrots are a texture issue, so she remained a little resistant, but bacon helped ease the strangeness for her. She truly is a "meatatarian." Silly girl.
Pannekoeken literally translates to pancakes, but it is really somewhere between a crepe and an American breakfast pancake. That, and we eat it for dinner, not breakfast. Pannekoeken plain with syrup, pannekoeken with bacon cooked into them, pannekoeken with cheese, pannekoeken with tomato and cheese. YUM YUM. The kids devoured this without a problem. I haven't had them try the ones with cheese or with tomato ,but I loved them growing up and I'm sure the kids will too.
What an insane and exhausting day this has been! Tomorrow is going to be yet another long day. The last two mornings I have woken up very tired, and it just seems to hang with me. Maybe we should stop being addicted to Dexter. Damn Netflix!