Sunday, March 7, 2010

What an insane weekend!!!!!


This weekend was a drill weekend. For those non-military out there, it basically means a seven day work week for Pete and usually a busy week at home too. This weekend I watched Makayla and her brother Sean both Saturday and Sunday. They are both very sweet kids. I have to say, though, it was a LONG week!

Saturday, Heather Naftal and her 4 kids (age 9, 7, 3, 1) came to my house for child entertainment and, for me, some adult company. All the kids get along very well, and it helps when Sean has some kids his age to play with. Every corner we turned, there were kids getting into something interesting, or troubling, or both! A few examples: Gabriella trying to put her doll on the potty (as in the real toilet...thank goodness I caught that one in time!), Madison standing on a toddler chair (she just turned 1), snatching and stealing left and right. Regardless of all of this chaos, it was actually a great day! We had fun making pizzas with the kids, and all the younger kids napped, so that is ALWAYS a plus! It was beautiful outside Saturday, and Sunday was supposed ot be more of the same so I knew I had to get outside with the kids.

Sunday was, of course, upon us before we knew it. Heather and company were unavailable, so I knew I had to avoid cabin fever and boredom by whatever means possible. It was supposed to be over fifty degrees, but there was still snow everywhere. That made for weird outside time, but oh well. Kids, and therefore I, don't care! We went to Montgomery for a walk in the woods. Sean was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a real hike, but considering even the paved trail was still covered in icy slushy mess, I can only imagine carrying Gabi, Makayla, and Tomas for most of it. NO THANKS!! We did have a good time taking a walk and playing at the playground, but I must say that ballet flats were a poor choice of shoes!

All things said, it WAS great to spend so much time outside today. I took the push handle off of his ticycle, and he was pedaling around like a champ! Too bad there are such hills in the neighborhood! Gabriella tried to get on and ride too...she didn't quite know what to do with her feet. She did, however, love being outside. She was soaked when we went in though. She kept using snow piles as seats; she was so wet she left butt prints on the front steps! Tomorrow and Tuesday are days off for Pete. WAHOO!